Wednesday 4 March 2015

My experience going to the British Museum

During our studies of ancient games we took a trip to the British Museum based in London, which happened to house a number of ancient games alongside the stories of their origins,  with one ancient game in particular that had my attention was also being hosted there, that being The Royal Game of Ur.

The Royal Game Of Ur & My iterative approach

During the time that we visited the museum, I was also making iterations of The Royal Game of Ur, So I was particularly interested in finding out more information on the different approaches that were made to find out and decipher the rules of the game originally, or to see if there were any other assumptions of the game that were made during it's early years of discovery. I was interested in these factors primarily as I thought I may be able to gain more knowledge and possibly find more interesting and technical ways of making my own iterative approach to the game seem more approachable.

During our trip we had a rather special tour guide, his name was I.L. Finkel who just so happened to be a scholar and curator of the museum. This was fascinating as he was mentioned numerous times in the text we we're studying called  Murray's Compiled list of board game types, under H.J. R. This was a great experience as it gave us the opportunity to listen to Finkel's insight and overall analysis of the game.

Whilst on our tour we also got the opportunity to take a peak at some of the original pieces on display, as well as a reconstruction of  The Royal Game of Ur,which I also managed to snap a picture of. (pictured below)
















Overall I would say that my experience at the British Museum was a positive one, with my knowledge on Ancient games strengthening and learning a little more on the origins of them. However the same cannot be said for the bus journey back home, as it mostly consisted of Juniour sleeping or making me hungry by talking about food when he was awake, besides from this it was an insightful and interesting day.

No comments:

Post a Comment